Perth is the most isolated city in the world, yet it never fails to captivate travellers and admirers who frequently visit this beautiful place. Perfect climate throughout the year adds to the imperturbable and relaxed lifestyle which is difficult to find elsewhere.
Backpackers love solo visits to Perth, Australia and happen to like it more every time. However, before planning a solo trip to Perth, you need to know the place. Let us check some interesting things about this wonderful city.
- It is the capital city of Western Australia situated on the Sunset Coast
- Population of Perth is around 1.8 million
- Language Spoken – Australian English
- Perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world
- It is also known as one of the sunniest cities – average 8 hours sunshine every day all around the year – therefore, it is also known as ‘City of Light’
- It is also known as ‘City of Black Swans’
- It is centred on the Swan River
- In the west, it is enclosed by the Indian Ocean.
- Its endless beaches make it a true water sports’ retreat
- Currency used here is Australian Dollar
- Best time to visit Perth is from September to March
- Shuttles connect the airport and city centre. Taxis’ fixed rate is $38 for a ride to CBD – Central Business District.
Places to Visit
- For people who love art and culture, the Art Gallery of Western Australia is the most exciting place. It is in the ‘Perth Cultural Centre’ which gives space to many cultural institutes.
- Kings Park is one of the most popular destinations. It is one of the world’s largest inner-city parks. The famous landmark here, DNA Tower, makes this place even more special.
- The Aviation Heritage Museum highlights around 30 aircrafts along, with the aviation history of Australia. It is taken care of by the Royal Australian Air Force Association
- Rottnest Island is surrounded by the Indian Ocean and is a must-visit place. This island has more than 60 beaches.
- The city port, Fremantle, has a rich history and wonderful heritage buildings.
- The Riverwalk trail, PInnaroo Valley Memorial, Scarborough Beach, Cottlesloe beach are some of the must-visit places.
- Margaret River – it is about three hours south of Perth. It is known for wine.
Australia is amazing but in no-way budget-friendly and Perth is known to be one of the priciest cities of Australia.
Perth Backpackers’ Hostels are fairly reasonable as compared to hotels there. Around 50-70$ per day should make your stay comfortable. Let us take a quick break-up of the amount:
If you take a hostel dorm, it would cost around $15-20
Airport Travel – Uber $30-40
Meals (three times a day) $20-40
For food and drinks, you can look for daily pub specials as they are a combination of both at a reasonable price. Backpackers are offered free entry, drinks, and even transportation back to the hostel by many clubs in Perth. Highgate and Victoria Park are excellent low price dinning-areas.
For traveling, you can always use the free transportation services provided within the city. Purchase a SmartRider Card to avail discounts on public transports. Moreover, trains are cheaper than Uber rides.
You can also work for your room. Many hostels have this provision to provide free bed or meal for a few hours of work. Check if the hostels have free breakfast and internet facilities. These can save a lot of money.
Where to Stay
There are some places which are very popular amongst backpackers in Perth such as Fremantle, Cottesloe, Scarborough, Northbridge, City Centre, etc. Besides being excellent places, these are budget-friendly as well.
The Central Business District (CBD) is known for business and cultural activities. Northbridge has most hostels and pocket-friendly accommodations. Fremantle can be your weekend favourite with many entertainment zones and restaurants. If you want a quiet place, Cottesloe beach is just for you.
Hotel accommodations in Perth are quite expensive. Instead, look for hostels as they are comparatively cheap and decent. Even better would be to stay with a local there but it might be difficult to find one.
How to Get Around
- Excellent public transportation network is available in the city with buses, trains, and ferry rides. You can use the smart rider card or pay in cash for tickets.
- CAT buses give free rides with high frequency. They cover almost all parts of the city.
Ferries run between Elizabeth Quay Jetty and Mends Street Jetty. To reach Rottnest Island, you can use a ferry.
- Taxis and Uber are also great means of transportation in Perth.
When to Go
Perth has warm and sunny weather throughout the year. Hence, you can visit this wonderful city any time. just take a note that the winters can be rainy. Most backpackers prefer the time between October to January as during the summers maximum outdoor activities and events are organized in Perth.
- One of the most important things is a hidden pocket – the best way to hide cash. As you would be traveling alone, you need to take care of your money and be safe.
- Always carry a water bottle, a head torch, and a toiletry kit with your basic requirements. Include sunscreen and hats in the list.
- Carry light clothes as you might have to carry your luggage.
- Carry a towel which dries faster – you never know when you need them. Hostel towels might not be of good use to you.
These tips and points will definitely help you have a power-pack backpacking solo trip to Perth, Australia. All the Best!
Mumma’s Hostel is one of the best backpacker’s hostels in Perth. Whether you are planning a solo trip to Perth or want to visit the city with your friends and family, you can book your stay with us!